- Six years' experience in freelance copyediting
- Certificate in editing from the University of California, Berkeley, University Extension
- Proficiency using Microsoft Word's Track Changes and Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Competency using AP, APA, Chicago, and house style guides
- Experience as an academic librarian with advanced research skills
A Sampling of Projects and Clients
Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), 2011–present
- Copyedit books, totaling 29 so far
- Copyedit and proofread articles, research reports, sample policies, and PowerPoint presentations, totaling 510 so far
Northwest Evaluation Association (NWEA), Dec. 2015–present
- Copyedit and proofread professional development materials for K-12 educators; formats include workbooks, PowerPoint presentations, and video scripts
- Created and maintain a style guide for the professional development team
CF Napa Brand Design, 2013
Copyedited and proofread the book 99 Bottles of Wine: The Making of the Contemporary Wine Label
William B. Packard, Ph.D., self-publishing author, 2013
Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), 2012–2013
- Copyedited 33 Journal of Social Work Education articles
- Copyedited 10 Journal of Baccalaureate Social Work articles
Northwest Independent Editors Guild, co-organizer for Portland meetings
I began my career in libraries, first in technical service positions at two university libraries and then as a reference librarian at a liberal arts college. In addition to offering research assistance and teaching library instruction classes, I managed the library collection in the disciplines of criminal justice, international relations, law, political science, social work, and sociology.
Moving away from academia, I next applied my library and research skills at the nonprofit 2-1-1 helpline in Austin, TX, where I managed a comprehensive online database of health and human service programs for use by staff, the general public, and community service providers in ten counties. Editing and indexing database entries were daily tasks.
After seven years at the helpline, I began exploring the field of freelance copyediting. I completed the yearlong editing certificate program at UC Berkeley Extension and took additional classes in proofreading. My first professional copyediting position was as a contractor at a public relations firm in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Influenced by my time as a librarian and at the helpline, I continue to have a special interest in topics related to criminal justice, government/political science, human rights, international affairs, public policy, social work, and sociology. I also have a growing interest in human resource (HR) management and K–12 education, thanks to my ongoing work with SHRM and NWEA (respectively).
Ongoing professional development:
- American Copy Editors Society annual conference, Portland, OR, March 2016
- Northwest Independent Editors Guild bimontly meetings in Portland, OR, 2011–present
- Northwest Independent Editors Guild biennial conferences, Seattle, WA, 2011, 2013, 2015
- Subscription to Copyediting newsletter, 2011–present
Professional Sequence in Editing certificate, 2009
Master of Library and Information Science, 1996
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science with a concentration in International Relations, 1991